- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground almonds
- 4 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 365°
- Cream butter in a bowl, and gradually add confectioners powdered sugar and salt. Beat until light and fluffy. Add almonds and vanilla. Gradually blend in flour, and mix well.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop dough and shape into a small ball for each cookie. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake cookies for for about 15-20 minutes. Make sure cookies do not brown.
- Allow cookies to cool slightly, and then roll each cookie in remaining powdered sugar.
These cookies have always been my favorite. This is a recipe I use to make these cookies, and everyone I make them for adores them. “Italian Wedding cookies” are often referred to as “Mexican Wedding Cookies”, “Russian Tea Cakes” or even “Butterballs”. I love to make these because I almost always have the ingredients on hand, and can be made with or without almonds. Enjoy!