- 1 1/2-2 punds Yuca (Cassava) root
- Water for boiling
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil.Peel the hard skin from the yuca and cut into large chunks. Avoid the stringy center.
- Add the Yuca to the boiling water and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and spread the yuca out on a clean towel. Let steam dry for 10 to 15 minutes while you heat up the oil.
- Heat the oil for deep frying until it begins to shimmer, or to about 365 degrees on a deep frying thermometer. Fry the yuca in batches until it reaches a golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and hold in a warm oven while you fry the remaining batches.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve
- Yucan can be served with refried beans and cream, or with chicharron and curtido.
Yuca is one of my Mom’s favorite plates. She enjoys having it with refried beans and cream.