- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee (espresso works best), room temperature
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfinger cookies
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7×11 inch dish
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form. Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise and drizzle with coffee mixture.
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers in bottom of a 7×11 inch dish. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, until set. For best results, refrigerate overnight.
Tiramisu is a classic Italian dessert, and one that is a favorite in my family. It is a combination of coffee-soaked ladyfingers, mascarpone custard and whipped cream, topped with cocoa powder that just melts in your mouth. Tiramisu is always on the menu when it comes to our Italian family gatherings, and one of my favorite desserts of all time.