- 1/2 head Cabbage, shredded
- 1 Carrot, peeled and grated
- 4 cups boiling water
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chile pepper, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the cabbage and carrots in a large heat-proof bowl. Pour the boiling water into the bowl to cover the cabbage and carrots and set aside for about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
- Return the cabbage to the bowl and toss with the remaining of the ingredients. Let set at room temperature for a couple hours if you like. Then chill and serve as an accompaniment to pupusas or as a side dish.
Curtido is something that is never missing in a salvadorian home. It goes well as a side dish with many foods.