- 1 (28oz) can tomato sauce
- 1lb ground beef
- 1lb Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- Bundle of fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- splash of red wine
- salt & pepper
- red chili flakes
- Dried Oregano
- Three large mason jars
- In a large pan, brown the ground beef and the sausage. Once all the meat is browned, drain the grease and place in a large stock pot. This is where the sauce will be cooked.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic, red chili flakes, dried oregano, salt, pepper and 3/4 the amount of the parsley to the pot.
- Turn the stove to medium heat and begin cooking the contents of the sauce prepared thus far. Add the tomato sauce, splash of red wine, and some water to the pot. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer meat sauce for an hour. After about an hour, add a chunk of unsalted butter, and remaining parsley to sauce and stir.
- This recipe makes a lot of sauce, so it’s best to have jars to store the sauce for another meal. The best way to jar the sauce is to boil the jars in hot water, and remove one at a time and fill with sauce. Seal the jar and turn it upside-down, and let the jars cool to room temperature. At the end of the day, place the jars in the fridge. You now have pasta sauce for another night!
This is a recipe for true authentic Italian meat sauce. It has been in my family for generations, and continues to be the main sauce used for all family holidays and meals. It is tradition in my family to make at least one meal using this sauce for any party. This sauce can be used for almost any pasta dish, ranging from raviolis, to gnocchi, to lasagna, to good ol’ spaghetti.