- 8 pieces of chicken thinly sliced and pounded
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups dry seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, basil and parsley, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and water.
- On a plate, spread the all-purpose flour to cover the surface.
- One piece at a time, coat the chicken with the flour and shake off the excess. Then proceed to dip the chicken into the egg mixture, and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture, patting it with your fingers to make the crumbs adhere.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Using tongs, turn the chicken and cook for another 2-3 minutes. If the pan starts to look dry, add more olive oil so the breading doesn’t stick to the pan. Remove from pan and put on a paper towel covered plate.
- Lightly oil (spray oil is good) a shallow baking dish. Spoon into the pan 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. Arrange the chicken over the sauce, while slightly overlapping the chicken. Sprinkle some extra parmesan cheese over the top and cover with the remaining tomato sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese slices and a little more parmesan.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake until heated through, about 20-30 minutes. To brown the top, remove foil and place briefly under a broiler.
Chicken parmigiana is a delicious chicken dish that is cooked in tomato sauce and topped with lots of cheese. This dish is great served by itself or with pasta. Another great thing to do with it is make sandwiches with a fresh Italian roll. This is just one variation of the popular dish, some people prefer to make it with veal. The recipe would be the exact same, just acquire 8 pieces of thinly sliced veal and substitute it for the chicken in this recipe!