- ½ cup- Walnuts
- ½ cup- Pistachio
- ½ cup- Hazelnuts
- ½ cup- Blanched Almonds
- ½ cup- Dried Apricot (make sure they are sweet)
- ½ cup- Senjet (Dried Cherries)
- ½ cup- Raisins (Green and Black)
- Boil the walnuts and pistachios and almonds for 20 minutes then soak them in same boiled water overnight. The next night remove the skin for all of the walnuts and pistachio. The pistachio and almond skin comes off easily, but the walnut skin requires a bit more effort.
- Make sure to rinse all of the nuts and dried fruits in water so they are clean. Now Boil 5 cups of water so it will cover all of the dried fruit and nuts. Then cool the boiled water to room temperature
- In a large pot place the walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts, almonds, dried apricot, and senjet all together. Pour the cooled boiled water so it covers about two inches above the fruit and nuts. You can add a little bit of rosewater as well (optional). Cover the pot and place in the fridge for about two to three days. The longer you leave it the sweeter it gets.
- The night before you serve the Haft Mewa, add the raisins both green and black. Let the fruit drink chill overnight, and then serve and enjoy!
Haft Mewa is a fruit drink that is made up of 7 different kinds of nuts and dried fruits. Haft Mewa is a special drink that is only made once a year in “Nowroz” which is the Afghan New Year. Every Year, Half Mewa is a must have for all the Afghans, because without Haft Mewa, there is no Nowroz.